Knox Academy and Haddington Rugby Club strive to achieve the following goals:
- Increase participation numbers of boys and girls playing rugby from S1-S6 with a team at every age group.
- Create a strong relationship with Haddington Rugby Club by playing under the banner of “Haddington Rugby”
- Develop the skills and abilities of all rugby pupils no matter what level of experience through high quality coaching and conditioning.
- Offer players support both within and out with the school curriculum. • Compete with the rugby communities in Edinburgh, the Lothians & Borders and across Scotland.
- The School of Rugby provides an inclusive environment widening the range of opportunities for all players using values of the game in alignment to the School, Club and SRU values
Knox Academy was one of the original Schools of Rugby and was the first School of Rugby in East Lothian. Through investment from Scottish Rugby Union and Haddington Rugby Club, we will have 5 teams with regular Saturday fixtures from S1-U18 playing in the new conference system then friendly fixtures against East Lothian, West Lothian, Border and Edinburgh schools.
Alongside this, we deliver high quality rugby practice sessions both within and out with school curriculum time. Our after school sessions are tailored to allow the players from S1-U18 to develop their KNT’s (Key National Themes) whilst work through the School of Rugby programme, including theory and basic conditioning sessions. As players go through the SOR we tailor the training to encourage players to challenge themselves and give them the opportunity to be selected for the East Lothian Pathway programme.
Outwith after school sessions we run an early morning conditioning session followed by breakfast club where we educate the players on the importance of physical fitness and healthy eating. Our curriculum session works on developing pupils confidence, self-respect and their ability to contribute to the wider school and community environment. The School of Rugby has enhanced their sense of pride in the school, club and community, as a result we are seeing a strong rugby culture develop.