Welcome to Support for Learning
The Role of Support for Learning:
Welcome to the Learning Support Department. Our role in school is to support inclusion and, wherever possible, to help pupils and class teachers to remove any barriers that get in the way of learning.
Our mission is to provide top quality support to the process of teaching and learning at Knox.
We are part of the Communication Faculty. We work in all S1 and S2 English classes at different times throughout the year, supporting those pupils who have additional support needs to develop their reading and writing skills, to enhance their success right across the curriculum.
We offer a variety of services to support pupils and teachers, including:
- Reading groups and programmes
- Spelling programmes for home and school
- Direct teaching for pupils with significant additional support needs, including life skills and Access 1 and 2 courses for individual learners
- In-class support
- Lunch Club where pupils can get help with homework
- Strategies to help dyslexic learners
- Use of laptop computers
- ICT Hub for pupils who need to use laptops and AlphaSmarts
- Working with the SQA to provide exam support
We always welcome feedback from parents and carers as to how we can improve the use of our limited resources, to provide a better service to all.
If you have general suggestions, or if you have concerns about an individual pupil, please do not hesitate to contact us by email.
Ideas for Work:
In the event of school closure, or if a pupil is unable to get into school the following ideas may help: