Additional support for learning is not just a good idea — it is the law.
A Guide produced by Enquire is now available which takes you through the key things you need to know about your and your child’s rights to get them the help they need to benefit from their education and reach their full potential.
The guide describes the law and good practice relating to additional support for learning, and explains what they might mean for you and your child. It covers:
- the Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004, as amended (usually known as ‘the ASL Act’)
- the Supporting Children’s Learning Code of Practice 2017, which explains how the law should work in practice
- other laws and guidance that relate to supporting children at school and in nursery.
The guide is divided into four sections:
- Understanding additional support for learning
- Getting the right support
- Attendance and exclusion
- Working with the school and solving problems
- explain your child’s rights to additional support for learning
- listen to any questions and concerns
- advise you on the way forward
- help you find local education and support services.
You can contact our helpline on 0345 123 2303 or email@example.com. Access to interpreters is available.