Knox Academy is required to follow up any 'unexplained absences' on a pupil's record. We do this in a number of ways:
- For pupils in S1-4 if we have not received a telephone call providing a verbal explanation for absence we attempt to contact the parent/carer
- We regularly send letters home to follow up absences which remain unexplained (i.e. a letter has not been received by the school office to explain the absence)
- Guidance and the Attendance Officer liaise with parents/carers where an issue regarding attendance has been identified
We recently contacted the parents/carers of all pupils who have an unexplained absence on their record - this applies to 32% of our pupils at present!! Parents/carers we need your help to bring this figure down...
- Contact us before the school day to inform us your son/daughter will be absent.
- Continue to send notes to inform us of appointments.
- Send letters of absence with your son/daughter when they return to school following an absence - even if we have received a verbal explanation this is still required.
Please remember that until we receive a letter from the parent/carer all absences are considered to be unexplained and may result in your son/daughter's absence being recorded incorrectly.
Please do not hesitate to contact the school if you have any queries regarding this matter.