The staff and pupils of Knox Academy would like to warmly welcome Ms Skirrow to the school.
Ms Skirrow joins us today after being appointed to the vacant position of Business Manager.
We wish her well over the coming months as she settles into life at Knox Academy.
What changes have taken place since the last update on 9 January 2010?
- You can now enjoy learning new words in the English language with Word of the Week. Word of the Week is usually published on a Tuesday morning. To catch up on words that you may have missed an archive facility is accessible.
- There are many Sports events happening at Knox Academy, and to celebrate pupils sucess there is now a section dedicated to Sports News. This can be accessed from either the front page or the Extra-Curricular area of the website. Comprehensive details of all Sports Activities are also now available.
- The Library pages are in the process of being created, however Library News and Library Stock Updates are available.
- Members of staff from most departments have had introductory training on the website. This has focused on how to update their pages, including how to upload curriculum documents. Support will be ongoing in this area and full content provision will take time.
Users of the website will have noticed that Scribd and Slideshare have been used to host documents. This allows documents to be viewed directly on screen, rather than having to wait for a download. Printing and downloading will always be available. Examples of departments currently using this facility include:
- Business Education
- Modern Studies
- Physical Education
- S1/2 Science
- Have you heard our Junior choir? - if not please head off to the Music Department to hear them online.
- News articles are regularly updated on the website, however if you would like news delivered direct to your Inbox, please signup for Email updates. Please note that this service is currently undergoing a testing phase.
- A reminder, that should you wish to subscribe in your internet browser to the RSS news feeds, you can do so simply by clicking on the Orange buttons on the front page.
Look forward to:
- Continued lesson resources from departments.
- Information on library openings/borrowings/policies.
- Curriculum booklet contents online under each subject - the full version is available in the Publications section of the website.
- 3D plan of the school (designed by one of our senior pupils).
- Further development in extra-curricular content.
We're always interested in hearing from users of our website, what they like, what they don't...read more...
Last May Knox Academy entered a team of S2 students in the Young SET (Science, Engineering and Technology) Ambassadors Challenge, which was run in conjunction with Edinburgh University.
The team won this event, beating schools from across the Lothians. The same team, now in S3, then entered their project into the National Science Awards and they have made it to the finals.
They will be going to Manchester for three days in March to attend The Big Bang Fair, and will be competing against teams from across the UK.
Best of luck to the team!
A reminder that school closes on Friday 12 February at 12.05 pm for the February Break.
Pupils resume at 8.44 am on Tuesday 23 February.
This is a reminder to all S4/S5 pupils:
S4: Please ensure all Work Experience log books, workbooks and supervisor reports are returned (fully completed) to your Guidance Teacher on or before Friday 12 February 2010.
S5: Please ensure all Self in Society booklets and evidence are returned (fully completed) to your Guidance Teacher on or before Friday 12 February 2010.
Support sessions will be held in M1.1 during lunchtimes on Monday 8 February and Tuesday 9 February for pupils who wish help to complete the above documents.
All pupils considering leaving school this year are invited to attend a careers event in the Edinburgh Corn Exchange on 8 March 2010.
To ensure a seat on the bus, please return a green consent form (replacements can be found here) to Miss Easson by Friday 12 February 2010.
The excursion form is accessible: Extra-Curricular > Excursion Form
Please note that this event is not suitable for pupils who already have a university place.
For more information, please view the letter and the powerpoint below.
30 S1 pupils visited the Scottish Parliament on Wednesday 3 February 2010.
We arrived at the Parliament at 11 am and after getting through security we spent some time looking at the exhibitions. We then completed an electronic questionnaire with the Education Department before going on a tour around the Parliament.
Congratulations to the S1 and S2 Accelerated Reader Class of the Month.
They are Mr McGeehan's S1 class, 1L2 and Mr Edwards' S2 class, S2A.
Mr McGeehan's class passed an amazing 34 quizzes in December and Mr Edwards' class successfully answered 14 quizzes.
Hot on their heels were Miss Machen's S2B class with 12 quizzes passed.
The next class of the month will be announced week beginning 1st March where Mr Edwards will find out if he's been successful in gaining a hat trick.
East Lothian Council's Education Department are currently recruiting Supply Nursery Nurses and are also still recruiting Supply Auxiliaries and Supply Additional Support Needs Auxiliaries.
The closing date for all applications is 31 March 2010.
For further information please visit the Council's website www.eastlothian.gov.uk
Application forms can be obtained via the Council's website or by contacting East Lothian Council's HR Department on (01620) 827625.
Further details regarding current vacancies can always be accessed on this website in the Recruitment section: School Info > Recruitment